Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 10

It's so warm and the trees are blooming, but it's supposed to be cool and rainy this week. We really need the rain.
Dallas has screwed up my paycheck telling TRS that I am full time, and I have been waiting for a week for them to correct it so I can get my pension on April 1. This happened last year, too, but they figured it out. Several calls both to Austin and to 3700 Ross Ave. produced an excuse: there is a report that was due on the 6th and it has not been finalized so until that goes in they can't fix my problem. If it were their money I would imagine it would have been fixed by now. So I continue to worry although the retirement counselor assures me it will be corrected. Only thing is that we are on Spring Break next week and no one will be there taking care of anything- as if they are now.
I found a great large rustic pine entertainment center that will work well for storage in the den. We went over Sunday but it wouldn't fit in the SUV so we went back with the trailer on Monday. It took some doing to get it into the house and the doors don't match, so John is going to have to fix them before I can get the dishes out of the bedroom. Now I need the rug and some other seating. It'll get finished slowly.
Teresa, John's cousin was married Saturday and we went down to Lake Granbury to the reception. Mark is a lovely man, retired from the Air Force who is from Brooklyn. Small world! It's always nice to go down there, so peaceful and woodsy. We'd move if we could sell this house. It's too big for us and too hard to keep up.
As for stitching, I've found my WIP and will finish the Oak Haven monthly SAL this week. I managed to put all the thread back into the organizer so I can find things again. Everything has been such a mess, I haven't even tried to stitch.
I finished the Manhatten Death Project for the Brooklyn Historical Society and now on to the 1880 birth index. It's tedious, but pretty mindless to type. I felt I should do something since I use their databases for the genealogy all the time. I only wish I had asked more questions about the extended family; did my grandmother have cousins, uncles, aunts, and tell me anecdotal information. Now there is no one to tell the stories. Too bad we wait until too late to realize the value of oral history.
Tomorrow I am going in to screen kids for next year. The kids apply to the school and have to meet certain requirements. I will read essays and copy names onto papers, and check standarized test scores. At least we'll go to lunch for an hour and feel like real working people.
Tomorrow is also Wendy's birthday. She will be 30! Whoever would have thought I'd have kids this old? She has grown into such a strong woman and I am so proud of her. Robert is working in North Dakota for the time being since there is little work around here so we will get her to eat either tomorrow or this weekend.
And so another day ends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment